Special Notice: Fall and Winter 2018
- Come for a meal: Thursday nights at Wallace House, or Friday lunch or dinner at the Country Life Center.
- Rent one of our locations for your next event. Contact Deborah at the Wallace House or Lisa at the Country Life Center.
- Volunteer in the garden at the Country Life Center. Wednesdays to Fridays are best. Call Mosa Shayan to arrange: 515.868.4297.
- Monetary contributions are welcome, too. Send your check to the Wallace House, or call 515.243.7063 with a debit or credit card. Even more convenient is to donate securely via PayPal on our website.
Thank you for your patience, understanding, and support as we work through this challenge. We’re determined to continue our quality programs and services to the community, but it will take time and resources to recover.
Direct to Your Table: Prairie Harvest CSA
What’s a CSA?
The Prairie Harvest Community Supported Agriculture program joins subscribers in sharing the risk and bounty of the growing season by purchasing a share in The Wallace Centers of Iowa’s fruit and vegetable production. Shares are offered in the spring, summer, fall and winter.
What do I get?
• Sustainably grown fruits & vegetables (using organic practices, but not certified organic)
• At least 5 different kinds of produce each week
• Weekly newsletter with easy recipes, storage tips and event invitations
• Super-fresh produce with longer storage life, less waste, more taste
• Satisfaction of knowing where your food comes from and contributing to Iowa’s food dollars
• Opportunities to visit the garden where the produce is grown
How do I get my share?
Produce is delivered to Des Moines, Johnston, and Greenfield or ready to pick up at the farm near Orient on Tuesdays. You’ll receive an email early in the week to remind you the location and pick up time.
What if I can’t use a full share?
A typical share will feed 3 to 4 people. Find a friend, neighbor or co-worker to split your share. You can take turns picking up each week’s share or meet to divide up the produce. Weekly newsletter tips can help you preserve the garden’s goodness for later use.
Pick Up Times and Locations
Wallace House, 756 16th Street, Des Moines, 4 to 6 pm
Weiland Home, 402 NE 2nd Street, Greenfield, 5 to 6 pm
Country Life Center, 2773 290th Street, Orient, 4 to 5:30 pm
Pioneer’s Carver Center, 7000 NW 62nd Street, Johnston, 4 to 4:55 pm
The brochure has all the details, or contact the Country Life Center at 641.337.5019, the Wallace House at 515.243.7063 or Farm Programs Manager Mosa Shayan.
2017 CSA Survey Results
Helpful CSA Publications
New in 2018:
We’ll be testing several new varieties this year including tomatillos, bok choy, parsnips, lavender and more.
Spring Share: 5 Weeks, $160
Offered at all locations. Planned produce includes arugula, spinach, carrots, kale, head lettuce, asparagus, radishes, kohlrabi and green garlic. Four high tunnel hoop houses provide ideal growing conditions for early harvesting.
Summer Share: 18 Weeks, $480
More than 30 different kinds of produce are grown over the summer including apples, garlic, cantaloupe, carrots, onions, spinach, beets, cabbage, chilies, cucumbers, tomatoes, watermelon, peppers, summer squash, eggplant, potatoes, green beans, lettuce, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, cherry tomatoes, winter squash, and broccoli. Pick up bundles of herbs such as basil, parsley and cilantro.
Fall Share: Not accepting additional subscribers
Winter Share: Canceled
Please note: Beginning April 1, 3.5% will be added to credit card payments.